About one hundred years later, the estate became a property of Pawel from Niegolewo, a knight and a member of a noble family from the region. In the following few centuries, the estate changed its ownership multiple times between a few aristocratic families from Great Poland, including the Rogowskis, the Zakrzewskis and the Raczynskis.
In 1978, Sylwester Sczaniecki, the head of Sroda County and a Member of the Parliament, purchased the land and began construction of his family mansion. The manor, built between 1781 and 1786, combined both Baroque and Classical styles, both very popular among late 18th century Great Poland nobility. The excellence of the former owners' style was truly reflected by the architecturar beauty of the the triangular pediment with Sczanieckich's coat of arms - Ossoria, Skórzewskich and Ogończyk, as well as in the beautiful neighborhood chapel built between 1786 and 1790.
As a result of many historic upheavals during that time, numerous Polish families lost their fortunes, including the Sczanieckis family. By force of on obligatory purchase, the dilapidated estate became the property of Ludwik Lewinka, a merchant from Tuchola, who subsequently sold it to Richard von Hardt, a banker from Berlin.
Between 1870 and 1872, the new owner, Richard von Hardt, decided to construct another magnificent building on his newly acquired property, regardless of the fact that the property already included a spacious Palace built 90 years earlier by Sylwester Sczaniecki. The new palace, designed by a famous Berlin architect, Gustaw Erdmann, resembled a medieval castle - a true resemblance of the traditional, romantic, medieval legends that von Hardt was brought up around.
After von Hardt’s death in 1898, the left behind property consisted of Wasowo and its dependent properties of Chraplewo i Głupoń. It was later inherited by his son, Friedrich Wilhelm von Hardt (1855-1938). Richard von Hardt was buried at the Wasowo Park Cemetery, a historical site now open to visitor.
Shortly before 1900, in preparation for a visit from the Emperor William II to Wasowo, the Wasowo Palace residence was significantly expanded by adding another wing, an impressive gate and a restructured tower – all of the additions that have the site an impression of a neo-Gothic castle.
After Friedrich Wilhelm’s death in 1938, his eldest son, Richard von Hardt (1882-1945) became the owner of the property. The newest owner died in Wasowo during the Soviet troops invasion. After World War II, the entire land, its mansions and all of the remaining properties of Wasowo were taken over by the Polish State Treasury and turned into state-run farms.
In 1995, the very distressed and neglected Wasowo Palace has found itself in hands of private owners. Since then, it has been completely renovated and rebuilt from ground up, floor by floor, window by window, in accordance with (Powinna byc nazwa tego stowarzyszenia albo kto to ustala, od zabytkow) national historical guidelines and recommendations. It then opened its doors to the public, as a 4-star, luxury hotel & restaurant complex.
After over 10 years of successfully serving guests from all around the world, on February 19th 2011, during a cold winter night, a sudden fire broke out on the top level of the Hardt’s Palace Tower. The Palace remained in flames for hours, in spite of local firefighters’ efforts to put the fire out. Local villagers came running and screaming seeing this historic building, now a truly loved part of their home, in full flames. This horrific picture will forever remain ingrained in memories of thousands.
In spite of the devastating damage to the property, with the help of local donors and thanks to the unstoppable drive of the owners to rebuild this historic gem, the Palace managed to rebuild and is now again open to the public. At this moment, the historical basement and the main floor of the Palace featuring the Wasowo Restaurant, Cafeteria and conference rooms are again open to the public. Two levels of guest rooms were also completely renovated and redecorated, and now welcome its guests. The final stage of the construction will include rebuilding of the famous Palace Tower.
In 2012, the Wasowo Palace expended its property by adding the nation’s largest historical-site conference & banquet room in the Grand Poland named Parkowa or Park Hall. The 400 square meters Parkowa is located in the private, quiet area of the complex and features beautiful view of the park. It is a perfect place for business meetings, weddings receptions or private banquets.